Thanksgiving & San Givi

For Thanksgiving, I'm used to having dinner, which includes turkey, but also pork, rice and black beans and yuca. When Elena told me that typically Thanksgiving is a lunch event I was definitely surprised. I felt my jaw drop at the news. Thanksgiving at lunch? What?

Fortunately, I have a pretty amazing wife, so she made some black beans and rice. It was really delicious and everyone at the table had some. It also made the transition of being away from the rest of my family easier. And it was a picture of our marriage, Cuban and American, black beans and mashed potatoes, Apple Pie and Pastelitos. Besides my Cuban food for Thanksgiving (or San Givi, mispronounced in Cuban Spanish), I'm also used to music, dancing and lots and lots of people. Not only is Cuban Thanksgiving a family dinner, but friends are also welcomed. Beers are also welcomed, although I must clarify that I always drink just one.

But this year, now in Kansas, it was different, the sun was still out and there was no pork and no dancing, but I still had a wonderful time. Renae, Justin, Bekah, Rick, Rosalie and even the dogs, Tanner and Bella were really fun to be around.

So there you have it, my first real American Thanksgiving at lunch, or well, does it count even if I had black beans? My wife would say yes, this is our life now, Thanksgiving and San Givi, and both are beautiful.

Posted in , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

3 Responses to Thanksgiving & San Givi

  1. Glad to hear you still got a San Givi! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well my dear, you successfully survived your first real American Thanksgiving. To other readers, I must tell you that Israel did eat some mashed potatoes so his plate wasn't totally Cuban. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this post. Glad you didn't have to give up your San Givi cold TURKEY (jajaja). I just learned the word for turkey today- pavo. Good to know this time of year. I love hearing how you two are doing through both of your blogs.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.